Many of us like to stay in the familiar bubble of music choices.
Perhaps we would like more music if we took the time to listen to it. perhaps
we would figure out why we don’t like it, but understand why others would.
Just follow these five steps!
1. Ask a friend what the most obscure song they have in their musical collection and listen to it.
2. Get lost in Youtube. Have you ever found yourself watching a Youtube video hours after you said you would just watch one and ended up deep in the depths of Youtube you didn’t even know existed? Try and use this technique to find new music. You’d be amazed at range of talented musicians you can find making music you never knew existed.
3. Go to Band Night! Did you know that UNSW has bands and DJ’s play on Wednesday nights? Did you know that these bands are awesome? From Rock to Jazz there are all kinds of music to discover! Grab some friends and have a drink taking in the sweet sound of music.
4. Download the free songs from Itunes! Itunes often has a song from a new band in their collection that you can download for free. It might not be your normal taste, but it doesn’t hurt to try it out. Besides, everything is better when it’s free.
5. Don’t Criticize a song the first time you listen to it. How many times have you listened to the album of a favourite artist and told someone that a particular song you now love simply ‘ snuck up on you’? Let the music wash over you and don’t judge it until at least the third time you listen to it..